DUCK BREAST STUFFED WITH FIE GRAS
BY CHEF RABIH FOUANY, PHOENICIA BEIRUT HOTEL
Serves 4 | Prep/cooking 80 mins
- 200 g duck breast
- 100 g foie gras (raw)
- 100 g truffle foie gras terrine
- 160 g baby potatoes, peeled and blanched
- 160 g baby beets, boiled and peeled
- 160 g carrots, peeled and blanched
- 40 ml raspberry vinegar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 160 ml chicken stock
- 20 g orange zest
- 200 ml herb oil
- 140 g water
- 60 g oil
- 20 g flour
- Remove the duck breast from the refrigerator and dry it with paper towels.
- Trim the duck of excess fat. Wipe the flesh dry and score the skin in a crosshatch pattern without piercing the flesh.
- Make a hole with your knife in the center of the duck across all the meat, then cut the foie gras into baton shapes and stuff the duck.
- Close, cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Place a large nonstick skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the duck breast, flesh side down and sear well for about 2 minutes. Turn the duck over and season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low and slowly cook the duck breast, fat side down and without turning for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Using a roasting pan over a medium heat, put a few drops of olive oil and add the boiled vegetables. Roast well on both sides for a few minutes.
- Degrease with raspberry vinegar, vanilla beans and chicken stock. Keep simmering for 10 minutes. Check the seasoning and finish with orange zest.
- Spread the herb oil on the plate, cut the duck breast, truffle foie gras and place on a plate.
- Garnish with vegetables and top with the crispy tuile.
To prepare the tuile, mix water, flour and oil together and add it to a pre-heated (170°c) pan without oil. Once set, remove and cool down.