FREEKEH, A POWER-PACKED MEGA-GRAIN
GOOD TO KNOW
- Freekeh is nutrient dense plant-based super grain, nutritionally superior to many other grains providing exceptional health benefits: heart health, gut health and healthy aging.
- Freekeh is a good source of protein, fiber, iron, phosphorus, manganese, magnesium, B Vitamins with a low glycemic index.
- Freekeh is young wheat that is harvested approximately one and a half months before it matures, between April and May, while the wheat is still green and milky.
- Freekeh is an ancient grain that was discovered in the Middle East around 2300 B.C., it has been consumed there as a staple for centuries.
- The word freekeh comes from the Arabic verb ‘farakah’ meaning to rub and refers to a step in freekeh production when the wheat grains are rubbed to remove their shell.
- When harvested, freekeh is tied into piles and left to dry in the sun for 3-4 hours. The piles are then roasted over an open wood or charcoal fire, on the ground, for 10-15 minutes and then stored in the shade for a couple of days. Straw and chaff that were burned during this process are rubbed off and the grain is left to dry for 45 days. The final product is a firm chewy grain with a smoky flavor loaded with nutritional benefits.
FREEKEH RECIPES TO TRY