• 500g frikeh
• 300g onions (wings)
• 1.7 kg whole chicken
• 150g olive oil (for onions)
• Bay leaf, cinnamon, salt and whole onion (aromatics for chicken)
• Toasted almonds (garnish)
1. Wash frikeh. Put in a heavy pot and cover with 2 cm of water over the frikeh. Add 10g salt and boil till the water reaches the top of the frikeh.
2. In the meantime, soften the onions in olive oil.
3. When the water reaches the top of the frikeh pot, add onions and mix. Let the water dry out and cook for around 1 hour.
4. Put chicken in water and boil. Skim the scum on top. Add 15g of salt and aromatics. Simmer for 1 hour.
5. When chicken is done, take off from the bone. Shred into big pieces and serve with frikeh topped with toasted almonds.