1 charm, almond or dried bean
- 50 g almond meal
- 50 g margarine or butter at room temperature
- 50 g sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 300 g gluten free all-purpose flour
- 100 g margarine or butter at room temperature
- 100 g sugar (brown, raw or cane sugar)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 pinches of salt
- 100 ml warm water
- 1 egg yolk for the brushing of the crust
- Combine the fat with the sugar, and whisk until it turns lighter in color.
- Add the almond meal, the egg and mix.
- Add the lemon zest and slowly the lemon juice. Refrigerate.
- Whisk the eggs with the sugar until it’s light and fluffy.
- Use another bowl to mix the flour with the baking powder and add the butter.
- Combine it to the egg mixture and whisk so it becomes one dough.
- Add a pinch of salt, the warm water and mix.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- In a cake tin or pie tin, pour half of the galette batter, then spread out the frangipane. Press the charm into the filling.Pour the rest of the cake batter.
- Beat the egg yolk and brush it over the top. Use a fork to make a crisscross pattern in the egg wash.
- Bake for 20 to 30 min.
Unlike the traditional Galette des Rois, the Galette Bretonne is made without pâte feuilltée and yet keeps a very light aspect, the secret to it is whisking those eggs till they become extra fluffy.