GLUTEN FREE, LOW LACTOSE & REFINED SUGAR FREE
BY MAHA MAJZOUB
Nutritional therapy practitioner, focusing on alleviating pain and addressing chronic illness
Serves 8| Prep/cooking time 75 mins
- 3 1/2 cups precooked millet
- 6 tbsp tolerated gluten free flour replacement of choice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup + 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp orange blossom
- 2 tbsp ghee, softened (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup butter, softened (room temperature)
- Blanched almonds (omit for a nut-free version)
- Preheat oven to 200 °C. In a medium sized bowl, mix dry ingredients together.
- Add in the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Line a small glass baking dish (around 15x27cm) with parchment paper.
- Transfer mixture to dish and top with blanched almonds if using.
- Bake for 25 to 30 mins. Let cool then slice.
- To ensure your Nammoura doesn’t crumble while slicing, refrigerate for 12 hrs.
For the Millet
- 1 ¼ cups millet grains
- Soak grains in water and add 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar and set aside for 12 to 24 hrs.
- Rinse thoroughly then cover in 2 ½ cups water. Cook for 20-25 mins over low/medium heat until soft and tender.
- 1 cup grains renders 3 cups of cooked millet
TIPS FOR ALLERGEN-FRIENDLY DIETS
This recipe is FODMAP friendly and may be adjusted to be low lectin compliant.
- Flours: Use teff, millet or buckwheat flour for FODMAP friendly. Opt for chestnut flour, tigernut flour or arrowroot starch for a low lectin version.
- Sweetener: Use maple syrup for the FODMAP friendly version, yacon syrup for the low lectin version. You may also use coconut syrup or honey if you’re opting for a refined sugar free rendition.
MORE RECIPES BY MAHA MAJZOUB