- 1.5 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup fine semolina
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
ORANGE BLOSSOM SYRUP
- 1.5 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 0.5 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. orange blossom water
- 1 cup crushed walnuts
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. coconut flakes
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- A hint of ground cloves
- 1 tsp. orange blossom water
- 1 cup shredded akawi or fresh mozzarella
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. orange blossom water
- 1 cup homemade ashta
- Mastic or orange blossom water
- Combine all the dough ingredients using a blender (start with the water). Blend for 2-3 minutes until you have a smooth batter. Set aside to rest for 15 minutes.
- Heat up a non-stick pan medium-low heat. Drop 1 tablespoon of batter and spread lightly using the bottom of your spoon.
- The katayef will begin to bubble. Once there is no more shiny (raw batter) areas remove the katayef are ready (do not flip them over). The katayef should cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer the katayef to a plate and cover with a kitchen towel and let the katayef dough cool down.
TIP: The katayef now can be frozen for a later use. If you are frying them fresh, make sure to keep them covered with the towel and fry them within an hour of filling them.
ORANGE BLOSSOM SYRUP
- Dissolve the sugar in the water and cook over medium heat until the syrup thickens a bit about 10-12 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and orange blossom water and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Walnut filling
Combine together crushed walnuts, sugar, coconut flakes, cinnamon, a hint of ground cloves and orange blossom water.
- Cheese filling
Mix the shredded akawi cheese or fresh mozzarella cheese with sugar, cinnamon and orange blossom water.
- Ashta filling
Mix ashta, infused with mastic or orange blossom water. Dip the open area with crushed pistachios.
- Start stuffing them by placing each Katayef into your palm, add about 2 tsps. of your favorite filling in the middle.
- Fold it in half to make a crescent shape.
- Pinch the top firmly to close it out. Set aside.
- Deep fry them in batches for 2-3 minutes or until you see the golden crispy color.
- Remove from the oil and set them over paper towels to take out any excess oil.
- Give them a quick dip in the warm orange blossom syrup. Serve them warm.