For the cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup sugar
- 110 g butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, packed
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup Milk
For the glaze
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven on 180°C.
- In a bowl add the flour, poppy seeds and baking powder, whisk together and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, add butter and sugar and whisk until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition (if the mixture starts to curdle add one tbsp. of the flour mixture and mix).
- Add the lemon zest, lemon juice and half of the flour mix and mix till combined.
- Add the milk and the rest of the flour mixture and mix till combined.
- Transfer the batter to your loaf pan lined with baking paper. Add the batter and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- While cake is baking, make the glaze by simply whisking together the ingredients till they are nice and smooth.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled drizzle with the glaze and enjoy!
OTHER RECIPES BY THE PESTO GODMOTHER