For the dough
• ½ cup fine bulgur, soaked in water for 30 mins
• 1 cup flour
• 1 medium onion, shredded
• ½ tsp salt
• ½ tsp pepper
• ¼ tsp hot pepper (optional)
• 1 tsp orange zest
• ½ tsp dried marjoram
For the filling
• 1 medium onion, julienned and fried
• ½ cup small red lentil, cooked
• 1 cup fennel, chopped
• Salt & pepper, to taste
1. Combine all the kebbeh ingredients to obtain a dough. Add a little bit of water to avoid stickiness.
2. In a skillet, add the filling ingredients and cook on medium fire for a couple of minutes.
3. Form small dough balls to make the kebbeh. Hold the kebbeh in one hand and with the index of the other hand, make a hole in it while turning the kebbeh and pressing it against the palm of your hand to widen it. Make sure your hands are wet so that the kebbeh doesn’t stick.
4. With a spoon, stuff the kebbeh with the lentil and fennel mixture. Close the kebbeh and cook for 2 minutes in boiling water to which 1 tbsp of salt was added. Make sure not to boil for long to avoid breaking of the kebbeh.
5. Serve with a sauce of garlic and olive oil. Deep fry the kebbeh in vegetable oil if you like it crispy.