BY CHEF CHADI ZEITOUNI
Serves 8-10 | Preparation/Baking time 50min
• 300g fine semolina
• 125g flour
• 125 ml vegetable oil
• 125ml warm anis water
• 2g baking powder
• 2g mahlab
• 2g instant dried yeast
- For the syrup, combine 220g sugar and 180ml water in a saucepan to boil, then add 2.5ml of lemon juice. Set aside.
- For anis water soak 10g aniseeds for few minutes in 125ml of boiled water.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl, then add the oil, and with your fingers, rub the oil with the dry mixture.
- Slowly add the anis water to make it wet and combine well to form a ball. Set aside, covered in a warm cloth for some time.
- When the batter is ready, form a mini-sized ball and press it on a strainer-bowl with big holes, and with the tips of the fingers, roll it around so that you see the holes marked on the dough. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the maacrouns. When they turn brown, transfer them to the sugar syrup, stirring so they are completely soaked and then put in a pan to cool.