- 400g semolina
- 40g milk
- 70g flour
- 150ml water
- ½ tsp yeast
- 70g sugar
- 200g butter or ghee
- 5 kg ashta
- 300g sugar
1. For the dough, mix all the ingredients except for the water. Then slowly add the water, stirring gently.
2. Once homogenous, allow the dough to rest for 30 minutes before gently spreading it.
3. For the filling, mix the ashta with the sugar, whisk until homogenous and set aside.
4. To make the first layer of dough, spread into a 30 cm round aluminum baking tray with low edges (sodor).
5. For the second layer, spread an exact replica of the first version onto a piece of film.
6. Put the ashta filling over the first layer of dough, then gently flip the second layer over the filling and peel away the film.
7. Put in the oven for 40 mins on 170° C.
8. Take it out of the oven and leave for one hour till it cools down, then serve.
9. Garnish with ground pistachios.
Note: you can opt to mix the pistachios into the ashta when preparing the filling.