- 2 cups freekeh
- ½ kg lamb or beef meat cubes
- 100g mixed nuts (almonds, pine nuts, cashews)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp salt
1. Clean the freekeh under running cold water and watch for stones or debris. Soak freekeh in cold water for 1 hour and drain it well.
Cooking the meat
2. Stir-fry the meat in a pressure cooker for 10 minutes and add to it ½ cup of vegetable oil, ½ tsp of salt, the chopped onion, bay leaves and cloves.
3. Add 750ml water and cook the meat in the pressure cooker for 50 minutes. Separate the meat from the meat broth and put them both aside for later use.
Cooking the freekeh
4. Place ½ cup vegetable oil in a skillet with the freekeh and stir-fry until all the grains are coated in oil.
5. Pour 3 cups of the meat broth on the freekeh, add the rest of the spices and cover the skillet.
6. Let it simmer for 25 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed (the freekeh needs to be moist and tender, if it is not, add more broth and cook a bit longer).
7. Stir fry the mixed nuts.
8. Serve the freekeh on a large plate and place the meat chunks on top. Scatter the nuts over the plate.
1 serving = 1 plate
650 calories / serving