Poached orange slices
• 1 orange
• 200 ml water
• 100g granulated sugar
• 225g butter + 1 ½ tbsp butter
for cake pan
• 175g all-purpose flour + 2 ½ tbsp
all-purpose flour for cake pan
• 3 eggs
• 3 oranges
• 225g granulated sugar
• 1 packet active dry yeast (11g)
• 90g granulated sugar
• 200 ml orange juice
• 100g orange jelly
• 2 tbsp water
• Round cake pan with sloping
sides, 22 cm diameter
1. For the poached orange slices, wash the orange and cut into thin 2-mm slices. Bring the water and sugar to a simmer and carefully add the orange slices. Keep over very low heat for 20 minutes, without allowing the liquid to boil. Drain the slices and allow to cool.
2. For the cake batter, butter the cake pan and line the bottom with a round piece of parchment paper to make unmoulding easier. Refrigerate for 10 minutes to allow the butter to harden.
3. Remove from refrigerator and dust the interior with flour. Turn upside down
and lightly tap out excess flour.
4. Bring the eggs to room temperature. Using a grater, zest the oranges. Combine the
grated zest with the sugar. Juice the oranges and set aside.
5. Put the butter in a large heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water or in the
microwave to soften until creamy.
6. Add the following ingredients, one after another, making sure to mix well after each addition: sugar and zest mixture, eggs at room temperature, flour, yeast and the juice from the oranges.
7. Add the following ingredients, one after another, making sure to mix well after each addition: sugar and zest mixture, eggs at room temperature, flour, yeast and the juice from the oranges.
8. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Fill the cake pan with batter to 2 cm below the rim. Place in
oven and bake for 45 minutes.
9. While the cake is baking, prepare the syrup. Bring sugar and orange juice to a boil. Remove from heat.
10. Place a cooling rack on a rimmed baking sheet. When the cake is done, remove
from the mould and place on the rack
11. Bring the syrup to a simmer. Using a ladle, pour syrup over cake and allow to soak. Gather syrup from baking sheet and pour over cake. Repeat twice. Allow to cool.
12. Decorate the top of the cake with the poached orange slices.
13. For the orange glaze, in a saucepan, stir together the orange jelly and water. Lightly heat without bringing to a boil (approximately 50°C to 60°C ), until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Coat cake with glaze. Allow to cool and serve cake at room temperature.