- 225g softened unsalted butter
- 325g plain flour
- 50g corn flour
- 4.5 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 400g sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 medium lightly beaten eggs
- 300 ml whole milk
- 75g butter
- 175g icing sugar
- A few drops of vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp milk
For the cake
- Cream butter, add sugar, vanilla, egg yolks, flour (other dry ingredients) and milk.
- Whisk the egg whites separately and then add to the mixture.
- Divide the cake mixture between as many bowls as you are making layers.
- Add pink food coloring to bowls making different shades. Pour into pans and bake for 15 minutes in a 180°C oven.
For the cream
- Place the butter in a bowl and beat until softened.
- Gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar, then add the vanilla essence and milk and beat again.
- Make two batches, one for between the cake layers and the other for the frosting. You can tint it with a few drops of pink food coloring.
To assemble the cake
- Put frosting between the layers then all over cake.
- Decorate with rolled sugar paste roses and buttercream leaves.