- 350 ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 4 egg yolks
- 45g sugar
- 25g corn flour
Salted butter caramel sauce
- 120ml single cream
- 125g sugar
- 15g butter
- Pinch of salt
1. For the crème pâtissière, place the milk, vanilla pod and seeds in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
2. Beat together the egg yolks and the sugar for 3 mins, then add the corn flour.
3. Pour the hot milk (removing the vanilla pod), return to the heat, bring back to the boil and cook for 3 mins.
4. Pour the pastry cream into a bowl. Cover with clingfilm. Place in the fridge and cool.
5. Heat a pan and add the sugar. Allow to melt without stirring to form a caramel.
6. Lower the heat and stir in the butter. Add the cream, stir well and allow to cool.
7. Keep 3 spoonfuls of caramel sauce for serving, then gently combine the pastry cream with the remaining caramel sauce and place the mixture in a piping bag.
8. Make a small hole in the bottom of each choux bun and then pipe in the pastry cream.
9. Dip the choux buns in the caramel sauce to serve.